Saturday, July 30, 2011

Cara S.

Cara S. & Family

      1.  How many children do you have?

Two girls.  5 and 3 1/2   One boy due Oct. 3, 2011

2.  Would you like to have more children?  How many or why not? 

When I think about our family, I always picture 4 kids. However, I don't think I want to be pregnant again. I am almost 30 and notice this time in much harder than with my first. I am more tired and just generally feel 'older'. So, maybe we will adopt/foster in the future. I believe God will reveal those things to my husband and I when the time is right.

3.  What do you wish you would have known before becoming a mom?

How personally I would take my children's bad behavior. I have to constantly remind myself it is not a personal attack against me, but rather the sin in their lives. It's my job to train their hearts and teach them what God's standard is for behavior. Their holiness is far more important than their happiness.

4.  What are the tasks that you wish someone else would regularly do for you?

I really enjoy cleaning and organizing, but I don't like to iron. I do it as little as possible. My husband wears a shirt and tie every day to work, but he irons his own clothes.

5.  How did you take care of your health and wellness during pregnancy?

I am a runner, but never run when pregnant. I give my body a break and don't want to worry about my heartrate going too high. One way I take care of myself is by walking most days of the week. I walk between 3-4 miles at a semi-vigorous pace (basically, I sweat!) I also don't eat red meat and up my intake of greens and protein. I drink only water while I am pregnant and lots of it! I also take warm baths to relax myself and go to bed early.

6.  Did you have the labor and delivery experience that you desired?  If not, what would have improved your experience?

Yes, I actually had very good labor experiences-I don't think I would have changed anything.

7.  How have you taken care of your health and wellness since becoming a mother?

I exercise daily (well, most days:) and run half-marathons. I feel such a sense of accomplishment for myself that doesn't have anything to do with my husband or kids....when I am running, it's just me. My friendships run very deep and are very important to me. I have a few very close friends and make time for coffee dates with them. I also put my relationship with Todd, my husband, first. Great marriages make great parents. We date and have regular 'couch time', so our children can see us tangibly loving each other and putting our relationship first.

8.  Are you involved in any mommy groups (in-person or online)?

When I first had kids, I attended MOPS (mothers of preschoolers). I really loved it. As my girls got older, I stopped going because we were doing other activities and I felt like I didn't need that group anymore. This past January, I started going to a group called "Moms Matter" at a local church. It's geared more towards moms with kids who are through elementary, not just preschoolers. I found this group pleasant and encouraging. I haven't decided yet if I will continue when our baby is born.

9.  What do you do to relax?

Go to the library or bookstore and look at books. And read! I love to read and also have two books going: a fiction and non-fiction.

10.  What advice do you have for new and expecting moms?

Train your baby to sleep and get him/her on a sleep schedule. It's a gift that will last your baby a lifetime and a gift you give your family as well.

11.  What is the best thing about being a mom?

Hearing your kids say 'i love you' out of nowhere.

12.  What is the most challenging part about being a mom?

Making hard choices in discipline and feeling like you give up a sense of freedom (or your personal desires) to be a mom.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...